Historic Moment

Yesterday, I completed my belt test and earned the rank of yellow belt. Two years after initially starting the class, and after 3 months of focus and determination, I am the first woman in our class to rank up.

Despite nearly debilitating cramps, I made it through 25 push ups and Chinese sit ups, 35 jumping jacks, 20 minutes or so of drills, and exhibiting my ability to perform 6 combinations, 8 point blocking system, and first pinion. By the time I was halfway through drills, I no longer noticed the pain in my pelvis, just the burning in my legs from kicking from horse stance. Si Fu was pleased with my progress and happily gave me my new belt. Afterward, he served traditional chinese green tea to all in attendance, to mark the occasion.

Si Fu's vision is to see this little class of misfits grow into a true dojo. If that happens, I am honored to hold the distinction of being the first woman to move beyond white belt. My, and his, next goal is for me to become the dojo's first female fighter. That means making it through yellow, orange, and purple, to my blue belt, and begin sparring.

Of course, today, I feel the pain of that small, first acheivement, as well as the pain of being a woman. In celebration, I'll spend the day on the heating pad with plenty of water, and the occasional bit of something awful for me.

0 comments: