i'm back!

I crashed and burned. Hard.

I've been busy, unmotivated, broke, a million excuses. I've maintained at 214 lbs for the past 2 1/2 months. At least I didn't really backtrack :)

About a month ago, my doctor wrote a letter of medical and financial need to the YMCA, and I was given a scholarship membership at a discounted rate. My father payed the balance of my dues, and I now have access to the Y for the next year. I've made use of the weight machines, treadmills, and exercise bikes.

Also, I've been taking Shaolin Kempo Karate for a couple months, which I credit for my lack of weight gain. This particular martial art is a hybrid form, developed by Fred Villari around the same time Bruce Lee was developing Jeet Kune Do. More information can be found here. It's a great workout, and I'm gaining strength, focus, and most importantly, motivation.

My desire to be good at martial arts is a driving force behind my recent return to a healthy diet and exercise. Shape has an interesting diet and exercise plan, with daily emails and meal suggestions. It has an online diary which tracks calories, fat, carbs, and protein, as well as how many calories (approximately) you burn per workout. The exercise plan only includes cardio, but I am also weight training at least 4 times a week (two days lower body, two days upper body, abs all the time).

I have new goals now. I want to lose the excess weight I'm carrying, but more than that, I want to be strong, flexible, and a damn good fighter. Since I was introduced to the UFC a few years ago, I've had a secret desire to participate in MMA. There are more and more women's leagues popping up, and I want to fight. I need to achieve several more belts in my current class, as well as have some training in boxing and jujitsu. That means increasing my endurance, strength, and overall ability. I hope to be ready for amateur fights in two years.

I'll be outlining my diet and exercise routines on at least a weekly basis. At least, that's the plan!

2 comments:

stjones

September 3, 2008 at 1:33 PM

Nice to see you back. Can't say I'm excited about the fighting stuff though....

aliasmisskat

September 4, 2008 at 1:23 PM

@stjones

I'm not sure I'll do it, but it's something I want to attempt to pursue. It gives me a concrete goal, as opposed to some amorphous "I want to be attractive" ideal.